Mas Mexicali Cantina

Mas Mexicali Cantina, West Chester

Finally made it to Mas to check out the dinner menu. I have to say that I didn't have high expectations despite hearing some good reviews. I'm a fan of a couple other Mexican restaurants that I've posted about. And the restaurant that Mas replaced was overpriced, so I expected the same.

We went on a Saturday night expecting a wait or at least a crowd. There was neither, probably because it was Thanksgiving weekend. Never a good sign seeing an uncrowded restaurant on a Saturday night, my scepticism was still high. We were seated and greeted by our server. He was immediately helpful, brought drinks and chips and salsa quickly. The drink menu is large enough, with many options for margaritas and beer. The chips were warm and seemed homemade, and the salsa was fresh with a nice subtle garlic flavor. We ordered a quesadilla, which had a nice flavor. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and made several good recommendations. Mrs. Food critic had the Two Tacos, selecting fish and beef. Both were excellent. I ordered a slow cooked pulled pork burrito, the pork was marinated in tequila. Very nice.

We were too full to order desert. The service was fantastic, the food was delicious. It's more Mexican fusion than true Mexican, but that's a good thing. We'll be back to Mas.

No comments: